View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #46
RetrogradE
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
Get to it, man! We all want to see some RP pics!
Sorry, fellas. I've been busy with the day job.

I've mounted these a few different ways but I only have two examples from bikes I've owned in the past. I try and do mods that function and are also inexpensive. Certainly there are better / more secure ways to mount these, but these are just examples.

This is a set-up I did on my 1150GSA. I don't really need extra fuel but I did a trip to Baja about 8 months ago and wanted to take some along. I did this Pelican / Rotopax trunk for under $100. I got the Pelican used on fleabay and I get factory second Rotopax tanks from the owner who lives near me. I'm selling some of these factory seconds now. . . look below for details.

Basically, I didn't use a mounting plate for this--I just went to Lowes and got a $5 steel plate and cut it down making a square. I sandwiched the bottom of the Pelican with two plates of steel, marked it, and drilled the holes. I put two bolts with butterfly nuts on the bottom (attached to the stock trunk plate), and used the stock bolts that secure the trunk plate to the rear sub-frame. I don't have pics of that right now (I'm out of town for Thanksgiving).

And here's a set-up I did on my 800GS. This bike is still featured on the slide-show pictures on the main rotopax site.

When I get back into town next Monday I can post a tutorial on how I mounted the trunk--complete with regular washers, rubber washers, Rotopax mount and tank.

MY BLACK FRIDAY SALE--PRICES GOOD UNTIL I'M SOLD OUT:

I have about 15 sets of Rotopax factory seconds--these are Red, 1 Gallon tanks. They are unused. You might get one of two imperfections: the outside of the tank might have tiny white bubbles that are practically imperceptible unless I pointed them out. After a couple of uses, you won't see them anyway. 2. Some of the inner-necks are missing some of the coating that the EPA requires on the US tanks. Sometimes these get a little "flakey" I usually wash them out and run with them as-is. Never had a problem.

Also, these come with the Yellow regular spouts, NOT the Eco-Friendly spouts that don't work. If you order from Rotopax, they HAVE to send you Eco spouts, but not me. Ha, suck it EPA.

The mounting hardware is Factory First gear which I don't get discounts on, but I have in stock and can ship as sets (preferred).

Normally I sell the tanks for $35 but my black friday sale is $29.99 for the tank, $25 for the mount.

Shipping for a complete set--tank and mount--$10 standard shipping (parcel post) or $12 PRIORITY with tracking numbers.

I'm out of town but will ship in order of payment first thing Monday.

Paypal is preferred (gift is best, but regular payments are fine too). If you use "gift" be sure and put your shipping address and what you ordered in the notes.

You can PM me, or email me or paypal me directly at davismfg at gmail

Thanks fellas,

Steven
RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote