View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #21
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Off topic however, here goes.....So CY, would you recommend I shop for LiFePo engine start batteries for my diesel motor-home?

1- Once I get to where I will overnight, I shut off the engine and use the leveling system (high current demand).

2- When cold starting the diesel, I usually allow the intake air heater to run for 30 seconds prior to spinning the starter regardless of outside temperature. This hastens starting requiring less turns of the starter.

3- When garaged, I use the battery disconnect and apply a smart charger to the batteries (two 12VDC batteries in parallel).

The coach is equipped with a 150 amp alternator.

Your thoughts please.

BTW, the chassis batteries are OE (12 years old).
not no .. but hell NO ... starting a diesel takes hefty amp hours. especially if one has to run glow plugs which don't understand PB/EQ . then factor in if a diesel gets finicky to start for what ever reason... like too much fuel.

that said... let's say you've got unlimited $$$ and just want it. despite everyone telling otherwise.

can it be done... hell yes! just be prepared to shell out some HUGE $$$. to find out how much... look at similar costs to set up a bank of lithium batteries for an electric car.

if the last set lasted 12 years.. that's a pretty argument for staying with what works.

follow this link on how to live with an AGM bank of batteries designed to support extended stay sail boats. absolutely worth your time... LOTS of pertinent information!

http://www.morganscloud.com/2010/08/...y-test-part-1/

_cy_ screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 05:52 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote