Thread: KLRsys build
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #87
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
Just wondering why your starting with such nice bikes? And why not just buy a KLR and a Versys or Ninja motor and wiring harness and electronics off e-bay?
I hope this doesn't come off as a smart-ass answer, but I started with nice bikes because I want to end up with a nice bike. I like getting a complete Versys because I hate shopping for parts, I know what I'm getting, I can test drive it, I know it all works, and by the time I sell off the leftovers, my net investment in Versys parts is probably less than I would have spent buying them all individually on Ebay.

I know there are lighter DS's out there but I chose to stick with the KLR because it suits how I ride. I'm not a hard core off-roader. I just want to be able to go down pretty much any road that looks interesting, but I also want to enjoy the ride between the offroad bits. I also don't want to have to think too hard about which bike to take on the next trip (I used to have a few different types in the garage). I want one that will do most anything I'm likely to ask of it.