View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #13877
old2wheeler
Former nb

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
I just picked up a highly modified 89 Transalp, Yes the one Jim has show earlier in this thread. But my real question is does anyone have any advice on side rack for the bike ? It has a big Hayabusa muffler on it and while it does not look the best it sure is light, sounds good, and runs great. I do not know if this would interfere with a stock type side racks or not.

open to suggestions.

Marc
I went out to the garage and measured mine. I have the one Happy Trails sells and there is 5 &1/2 " between the stock luggage rack and the inside of the side rack on the muffler side. If you use happy trails panniers, their mounting device takes up 3/8 " of that, but you can have them leave the drilling of the bolt holes for the two that would possibly interfere with the muffler and possibly choose a location that would not interfere. The side racks are connected to each other by a "u" shaped rod that goes under the tail light. That bolts to the side rack about 5 & 1/2 " lower than the bottom of the stock luggage rack. I'm really happy with the rack & the panniers. Hope this helps, & let me know if you need other measurements.

Rod
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
old2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote