View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
jackhammer50 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Before you get excited, I would suggest you try checking them again. Keep in mind that if ALL of the valves are tight it is likely that either you have the motor 180 off TDC for each cylinder, or you would have at least half the valves loose.

The arrow on the right cylinder at 90 allows you to adjust the right set of valves.

The cam, still on the right side, at 90 allows you to set the left bank of valves.

The intake (rear valves) are at .15mm and the exhaust (forward valves) ar at .30mm (or as close as you can get via feeler guages)

Jim
Jim,

These pictures of yours show exactly the way I adjusted the valves last night... and are the very same ones I used while I was doing it. The valves were just too tight. I'm pretty sure the last tech that was in there didn't hold the adjustment screw while he tightened the lock nut.

Last night when I did the adjustments I used the two feeler gauge method. (four for each side)

After all the feedback this morning, I pulled the covers off again and checked my adjustments using your method with the single gauge across both valves. -Then pulled from the middle to check the tension was uniform. I think I got them closer this way.

The bike is running fine now, but still just a little rough at idle.

So I then balanced the throttle bodies at 3800 RPM with a harmonizer. They were off a bit. Got the smiley face and figured I was done.

It didn't affect the idle though. Shakes the gps mount pretty bad but if I blip the throttle it smooths right out.

Jack
jackhammer50 is offline   Reply With Quote