Thread: Shorai
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #11
genghis9021
Arak Connoisseur

Oddometer: 236
Shorai, Braille

The Braille batteries have been de-constructed in a number of threads here, including this one - it's made by Eastern Penn (think I have that right) but Braille charges a HUGE premium for a battery you can buy elsewhere.

The Shorai's "SEEM" to fail early, if they fail. Mine failed in Uzbekistan with just 6 weeks on the clock. A royal PIA in a country where 2-wheel transport is almost completely absent due to Glorious Maximum Leader President-for-Life Karimov's insistence (he's apparently been told that THAT is the way a suicide bomber will deliver his end . . .)

Once I got back to the US (after nursing the bike with a Chinese-clone of a 25-year old Russian battery and then a 5AH Yausa to Ulaan Bator) . . . they eventually got my warranty battery to me after many emails and phone calls. (FWIW, I wanted but couldn't get delivered an Anti-Gravity battery with much better numbers and better tech (cylindrical cells vs the prismatic in the Shorai, among other things)). The Anti-Gravity is now in the bike and . . . no problems and starts easier and with less needed "warm up" than the Shorai, ever.

The story I was told about my failure was allegedly due to a problem with Japanese parts due to the tsunami. I remain a supreme skeptic of the story and would not take one of their batteries on a solo ride thru remote parts (the only kind of rides I do). My education is in Electrical Engineering though I focussed on signal processing, not circuit design.

All of the advice regarding their cold starting issues is good, true and reflects ALL Lithium Iron batteries.

Good luck.

Orange, it's the new black Tour.
genghis9021 is online now   Reply With Quote