View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #1730
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsense4857 View Post

Do you really recommend the Mowtech skid plates...
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...-versys-650-07

I could get something fabricated. Something similar to the skidplate in the pic above.

Regarding the mounting in the picture. If there is an impact from below, doesn't the skid plate mount (just before the exhaust muffler) transmit all of that to the engine?
good choice on the Motech bars, the best.

my shop built gravel guard is fine for my bike because of all the ground clearance, but i would recommend the Motech gravel guard for your bike.

the lugs used for the belly fairings on these ptwin motors have been the subject of much discussion. with the Versys suspended bike, i would come home from a trip with scratches on the underside of the guard, but now that the ground clearance has been substantially increased, not a scratch. besides the mounts you can see, the guard has a pad at the rear that would contact the exhaust, limiting movement.

i was going to build a new guard last winter, but the weather was so mild that i ended up riding instead. the guard has done it's job over lots of miles, but any new one would have even more coverage for the front of the motor...or maybe i'll get a Motech.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote