View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #244
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
It's the cat's meow, the bees knees, the icing on the cake! Nicely done!
Thanks Big Bamboo!

Well, Happy Thanksgiving all! I wanted to get something done today. Unfortunately, I think the clutch and rear main seal is out of the question. I need to go to my father-in-law's house to borrow his air tools to remove the clutch bolts, and I didn't have the heart to ask him to help today since he's hosting a huge Thanksgiving. Hopefully in the next couple of days. So instead I decided to swap out the front crank and cam seals.

I went this method to get the old crank seal out:

Ugly, but effective, and it didn't cause any damage to the bore.

My wife had to laugh about how we were spending time together on Thanksgiving. My wife and daughter were baking and making Santa Hats out of stawberries and marshmellows while I was working on the BMW. Side by side in the kitchen. It smelled like wonderful treats and 15 year old motor oil!

Believe it or not, she's as interested in the BMW as she is the baking!

OK, back to business. Must not let such mundane things as my family get in my way! (kidding, of course!) Started cleaning off the old gasket. Hate it, but it's gotta be done.

Both seals out. The cam seal pushed out easily with my thumb.

I soaked all the seals in oil to soften them up a bit:

The crank seal is in place here, and I'm getting ready to install the cam seal.

And the points plate reinstalled and fresh new crank and cam seals done. Easy, and again, I feel a sense of accomplishment for the day!

Happy Thanksgiving!

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166

backdrifter screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 09:27 AM
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote