View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,271
From Price, next stop was Salt Lake City and this museum.

http://nhmu.utah.edu/

To get there involved one of my freeway episodes. From Provo to SLC it seemed to make sense to slab it on I-15.
I love Utah and have given some serious thought to moving to Cedar City, but, to be honest, the stretch from Provo to Ogden looked like one long and ugly strip mall. I droned along until dark and got a room on the southern edge of the city.
I should mention here that the drivers in this metro region were by far the most considerate of a loaded down touring bike, unlike the Wild West of traffic that I live with in my part of Colorado.

The museum is brand new and was still receiving finishing touches when I arrived. It was also filled with hordes of riotous school children, but I don't mind that a bit and love seeing them exposed to what came before them. The place did seem very family oriented.

What look like beams extending between the walls are actually ramps leading from one level to another so transitions between floors seemed to flow.

Their Fremont collection was also impressive.

Of course, no visit to this area can fail to make a stop here.

It was a calm and warm autumn day when I stopped by. Marinas and beaches were deserted and I saw only one boat on the lake, which is HUGE, by the way. Judging by the sailboats up on stands, there must be a sizable sailing community. I wondered what boat maintenance accommodations needed to be made to the high salt content of the lake.

MrBob screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 08:56 PM
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote