View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #71600
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR27 View Post
Currently, 95% of my riding is commuting, but i was hoping to spend a little time exploring, now im over the need for speed. since im new to dirt (have ridden some dirtbikes in a padock, but ill still consider myself new), i was thinking of a smaller adv bike.
some options ive considered now are

DR650
KLR650
Husky TR650

I have a budget of about 11K AUD, and cant ride till mid jan at earliest next year (broken hand requiring pins and plates, and a broken wrist). as mentioned commuting in traffic, along highways (100kph) and normal streeta (60) is the norm, with the odd trip off road. Once i finish uni, and back in a high paying job, ill look at r1200gs etc, but for now, cheap, functional and good are requirements.

Here in oz, the klr and dr are about 2k cheaper than the husky, but the husky looks to be better std.

So since this is the dr thread - why should i buy a dr?
Good choices. All three can commute just fine. The Husky is brand new so a bit untested. Hopefully it won't carry with it the many BMW problems from the F650/G650 on which it is based. IMO, the forks are under spec'd for off road use. (CORRECTION: Husky wisely went with 46mm Forks ... not the wimpy BMW ones) The Husky is the clear beauty in the bunch ... and has sharp clocks and switches ... and a great look.

But how tough is it? The BMW's aren't very ...
You do realize the Husky motor is a modified BMW G650 motor, made in Loncin, China. Husky claim more power and very good fuel economy. To me, the fuel economy is a very good reason to look at the Husky. How the bike will hold up to abuse and miles ... ? Unknown.

If you plan to rack up high miles commuting and are a novice dirt rider ... then buying a NEW bike would be very silly indeed.

I'd buy used no matter what. Save the big money for your R1200GS.
(they are over $20,000 USD now)

I've owned both the DR and KLR, as many here have. I prefer the DR650 for a number of reasons already stated. But a very well set up KLR can be a very good bike too. I've ridden a couple fine examples that made my stock KLR feel like JUNK. But the DR also responds well to a few well placed upgrades. Very good value IMO, trouble free and fun on easy off road.

As a novice dirt rider I would start on every easy dirt roads. No deep sand or rocky mountain terrain to start. A smaller 250cc bike is preferable to learning dirt riding.

Go ride a few bikes, see what works. Lots of Fish in the sea. Take care of your hand. Hope it heals up well!

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 12:59 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote