View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #28
dryden_rider_54 OP
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,688
The final days

Part 7
After our morning visit to Tim Horton’s we left Stettler AB and continued east on highway 12. Our first stop was for gas in Coronation AB where we met a very nice gas station owner who loved our BMW’s and said that it was his bike of choice as well and “would not spend any money on one of those Harley’s”! Cindy and I wanted our picture taken by his restaurant sign because it had a crown and the word Coronation on it (we are both fans of Coronation Street) and when the gas station owner realized what we were up to he gave us directions to the huge crown and “Welcome To Coronation” sign across the highway. The tackiest crown ever but what the heck … we got our picture taken by it anyway.

We pulled out of there and the wind was beating us up pretty bad so Garth designed a route that would be easier on us. We turned onto highway 41 down to Oyen AB where we had some lunch in a restaurant that had Canadian and Lebanese food. The owner was the chief cook, dish washer, bus boy and waiter. We had soup and guess what else … pie! It was good, not the best we have had but up there in ranking that is for sure.

From Oyen we crossed into Saskatchewan on highway 7. Our original goal was Swift Current but because we had to make one of the next few days a “big push day” we had a biker council meeting (actually Cindy and I) and decided that given the present weather and road conditions we could make Regina. That would be 740k and for Cindy and I that would be a “big push day”! We stopped in Outlook SK, on highway 15, for a break and supper. There were 3 diners in a row … 2 were identifiably Chinese and the third was called the “Modern Café” owned by a Chinese woman named Annie. So Annie fed us supper and tried her best to talk us into a piece of pie but she made the mistake of admitting that it came from the wholesale and was not homemade … so no way Annie, no pie from you today!

Our bikes parked along main street in Outlook caused quite a stir. They were checked out by everyone that went by. A local guy came into Annie’s, part of the 5 o’clock coffee crowd, and he was very talkative … full of questions and stories.

After Outlook were turned south onto highway 11 which is double lane all the way to Regina. We pulled into Regina just after sunset and got rooms at the Chateau Regina … on a Friday night … kinda sketchy looking dudes hanging around outside but the rooms were great. We definitely used our security measures for our bikes that night! A good hot bath helped to ease away the days travel … although I still felt like I was moving. The next morning (Saturday) it was breakfast at Smitty’s.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders were heading to Winnipeg to play the Bombers on Sunday so every mirror in Smitty’s had something written on it to do with the upcoming game. As Jim said if every CFL team had the kind of fans that Saskatchewan does it would be a rich league! As we headed down the TransCanada highway we were passed by many Roughrider fans heading into Winnipeg to catch Sunday’s game. One old-style camper van (think shaggin’ wagon, haha) was a tail gate party all by itself.

As it passed us you couldn’t help but notice the big Roughrider flag, tied to the back door and ladder, flapping in the wind. We caught up to it at a gas station and about 7 young adults came pouring out. They were packed up with coolers etc. and ready for a party! The wind was brutal! Out of the north and northwest. It was an electric jacket day (thank god for that jacket)! But it was sunny and bright and our goal was Winnipeg. We stopped in Virden at Tim’s for a break and then onto Winnipeg. The Holiday Inn on Pembina was a welcome sight and Tony Roma’s ribs for supper were just what our bike gang needed! Sunday, Winnipeg to Dryden, would be an easy day.
Thanks and I hope that you all are well.
Please pass along and I hope that you enjoy.

Maps
Day 13 Sept 7 Stettler, AB to Regina, SK

Day 14 September 8 Regina, SK - Winnipeg, MB

Final Day Sept 9 Winnipeg, MB - Dryden, ON

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA

dryden_rider_54 screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 05:23 PM
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote