View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #59
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Any speculation as to the source of the fuel leak? Was the bike equipped with QDs?

Any recent fuel system maintenance?

How did the insurance claim work out?
My input from talking to Mike last week.
-I believe the QDs were updated all-metal ones.
Just speculating now but I've seen the plastic high pressure fuel lines on the R series bikes break on occasion...particularly when they get old or are smacked in just the right way.
Several years ago there was a tale of a GS rider in Southern Oregon who noticed his right leg getting warm while on the freeway one day while riding....apparently he looked down at his leg and saw a trailing flame that would catch up to him when he tried to slow down. Eventually he stopped and was able to get the flame out....I believe this leak was due to a bad o-ring or QD.
So, inspect your fuel lines, injector lines and QDs. And update the plastic QDs to the metal version and carry extra o-rings, injector line clamps and a dual barbed fitting to splice a line without a QD or in the event that one should fail.

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP

Rubber Cow screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 08:24 PM
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote