View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #35
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
I wrote up a section on San Francisquito on my website trip report HERE with some pics.

I camped right on the beach in a tent, was the only one there except the extended family that lived there. It was awesome to be on a perfectly dark beach at night with all the brilliant stars in the black sky as opposed to camping near a town. Nothing but the fire down at the main building where the family cooked their meals. This was last Feb-March. Not much left of the place as I hear it used to be the bomb back in the day. The Baja 1000 didn't even go through there last week like they used to.

Anyhow they had a generator and a refrigerator and sold drinks. Since one of the family members is a teenager I guess I shouldn't have been surprised but in the evening he pulls out a laptop and was on Facebook! It turned out to be the best Wifi I had in a long time - they turn it on in the evening for awhile.

I used my broken Spanish to negotiate a fresh fish dinner and also breakfast. And most importantly sold me a gallon of barrel gas in the morning.

Upon arrival, I actually missed a turn and ended up at the little bay just north of there at a ranch and he offered me gas too, then that road dead ended at the little military camp there before I turned around and found my way to the main beach / building area by the airstrip. So there is other gas in the area which is pretty important depending on your route as there are not a lot of options.

As to the roads, I really liked the road north of SF to Bay de LA but the road west to Vizcaino had some stretches of washboard hell. Had to go about 70 mph just to smooth out the road. But the Baja 1000 last week used both of these roads so perhaps even the road to BdLA is just as bad now, dunno.

I liked the place for its seclusion and solitude and gotta say strength in numbers is not needed in an area like this as far as camping goes, it's the Baja man! Although since I was split off from my group I did ride a little more carefully and also carried a full camelback of water and about a gallon of gas in my spare MSR dromedary bag as it is about 200 miles from Vizcaino to SF to BdLA so you gotta plan ahead or look for a rancher and they are only in certain areas. I actually liked trying it out as I always have crap I take that I never use! So it was kinda nice that way to use it and it worked great! (but take another plastic bag to put it in because it will never get rid of the gas fume smell once you use it...

Good luck. Here's a couple of pics:

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!

snooker screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 08:41 PM
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote