View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #321
Scrooge
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Stormer View Post

As for the potential of the d30 pads failing in cold temps that you and soph9 mention, you might be on to something that could be a weakness in that technology. I'm not usually in that cold of a climate, but it's certainly something to keep in mind when trying to get the pads in and out in cold climes. I would be concerned for the their strength in a fall, but I'm sure even in the coldest weather, they'd stay pretty flexible after being against your body for a short time while wearing it. I keep my stuff indoors for that reason too, and even in a warming closet sometimes. I have one closet right beside my home heating system that feels like a mild sauna during half the year and I use it as my "drying" closet for hanging wet gear. Very handy!
I had previously read about cracked knee pads in the cold, but I didn't think it would be an issue in the jacket due to less flex needed in those particular areas. I keep my gear in the house or a heated area at work when commuting, so breaking the pads through normal use shouldn't really be an issue for me. I agree that body heat should help, but I noticed the other night in the 30's that the pads were considerably stiffer when I got home than when I put the jacket on and that was after one hour. I don't expect them to be exactly the same at 30 degrees as they were at 75, but I do expect them to provide the same level of protection in the event of a fall. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation. If they crack due to flex when cold, I wonder if it would shatter on impact from brittleness in the same conditions.

I think I'll contact Klim to see if they have any data about d30 performance at lower temperatures. The last thing I want to do is wonder if something I bought primarily for protection only works in a fairly limited temperature range.
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote