View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #359
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJHP View Post

Apologies if this has already been discussed on here, but this team is well worthy of a mention. Race 2 Recovery is a team made up solely of individuals who have been injured in combat and are now facing their next biggest challenge................Dakar 2013!

See http://www.race2recovery.com/who-we-are for further info. Influential stuff and well worth following on their adventures.
Thumbs up to that, following them on FB.

Now whilst I support the UK and US military 100% there is one small thing that I can't quite get my head around.

Politics and sport should never clash and perhaps therein lies the answer to my own question, but with Argentina there is that real quandary of 30 years ago when "we" had that little tussle way down in the South Atlantic.
People on both sides lost their lives and notwithstanding the rights and wrongs of it all on either sides there must be some odd issues on the Argentinian relations and ex British servicemen injured in conflicts being involved?

Yes, we still play football and rugby against each other and there are no issues, save for the mad woman's continuous rants about the Malvinas to deflect political pressures at home, but somehow this sits a little different?

As a team they have no issues and I for one are right behind them, but forgive me if this may be a sensitive area, but how is this background dealt being with?

Could be a bit of a John Clease - "don't mention the war" - in which case it is just time and it a thing of the past, it may just be that when you are the same generation that to confine things to history, takes more doing?
too old is online now   Reply With Quote