View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #15
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,390
I made it back down the mountain from Crater Lake without killing myself so there was an upside to that experience. When you travel by motorcycle it's best to understand that the weather is going to play a huge role in your experiences.

From Crater I picked up hwy 62 headed SW. The snow turned to rain at this lower elevation and the temp remains just above freezing. The road winds through thick forest and with almost no traffic to be seen I slow down and take in the changing terrain.
I'm beginning to see rain forest now, with huge Douglas Firs and thick fern undergrowth and an intoxicating smell of damp earth in the air. Rivers and streams are everywhere. Moss hangs from tree branches and wildflowers are bright spots of color in amid the dark, green of the ferns.

At Grants Pass, OR I pick up #199 and continue SW. The road starts to twist and turn through forests and canyons and along rivers and I don't know what-all. The sun even comes out.
Abandoning my leisurely pace, I get busy with throttle and clutch to see what the Connie can do and the 600+ pound bike nearly jumps out from under me. It appears that it has another personality.
I'm flying through the curves amid the heavy forest and I'm almost laughing out loud when I come to this sign.

Soon, the screen on my GPS is indicating the end of #199 and the outskirts of Crescent City, CA so the sea must be very near.

And it is.

MrBob screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 07:40 AM
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote