View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #13894
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Oddometer: 143
Gasket and sealing...

One issue with gaskets is they will all tend to age and either go brittle or fail at some point in their life. There are many types of sealant out there that people like to use, but a common problem is both how much and what are their draw backs. With silicon based sealants excess seepage into the inner space (water pumps, oil pans) to mention a couple, you run the risk of having the excess ooze that is left inside your motor pulled through your engine clogging oil passages and other vital components.

photo uploader

This above image is from the oil filter of a Porsche Boxster we were working on and is a common issue when "more" is not better. The source was traced back to the oil pan gasket where the owner had used copious amounts of sealant due to worn oil pan bolts.

On all of the engines I work on be it cars or bikes, when there is a gasket that I want to be sure does not leak, yet is capable of easily being removed I use Aviation gasket sealer. Why? This is both gas and oil resistant, forms a leak proof barrier and stays pliable. When servicing is required, removing a component that you are not left with the scraping and peeling that tends to come with using other adhesives. Additionally, if you have metal on metal components, this sealant appropriate for those locations as well. The sealer has the consistency of a very heavy molasses and all you have to do is wet the surface with a small brush. A bottle this size has lasted me over a decade.

With all this said, opening up your oil filter is a good practice to see what lurks in the recesses of the filter material. Conditional changes may first be noticed by what you see your filter stopping.

picture sharing