View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #113
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,601
Today was my birthday.

My sister used to own a restaurant, and now operates a concession stand part-time. By coincidence, she had a job today and I bugged her to let me help out. We had to be there and set up by 8am.

We were working a local auction. The crowd was pretty thin and though we were the only concessioner, sales were slow. A handful of cups of coffee in the morning, a couple hotdogs and burgers a little later, and the occasional can of pop (as they say here)

We mostly stood around all day and talked. My sister complimented me on my customer service and upselling skills, as ineffective as they were today.

When we got back to the house, my brother-in-law Bryan was getting the fire ready for this evening.

The kids rode around on the ATVs.

They rolled an old dirt bike out of the shed and egged me on. "Come on, Uncle Jamie! You can ride the motorcycle!"

I've never been on a real dirt bike, but what the hell. Any comments on my technique?

I had a wipeout, and my nephew Justin got a tool to straighten the brake pedal.

We all had fun until Justin busted the chain on his quad.

The rest of us lined up for a group shot.

My nephew Jared bought a street bike recently. He and I took a ride together, and I regret that I never got a photo of us with our bikes.

Two of my nieces, Bethanie and Haylee.

The fire was pretty weak, so I got on it.

I got a new T-shirt for my birthday.

I played some ball-throwing game with Justin and a couple others.

And my cousin Shelley and her husband David showed up. I haven't seen either of them in probably 15 or 20 years.

And incredibly, my foster-sister, Pam. We couldn't recall the last time I might have seen her. I was maybe ten years old.

With my three sisters. Pam lived with our family for a time when I was very young. I only barely remember, but she talks about how I would sit on her lap on the couch and we would tell stories.

And a lot of relaxing around the fire.

Late in the evening, we went up to the game room.

And then right before midnight... my birthday cake. Bathanie made it earlier in the day.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote