View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Tom (Rider351):

If you are a 50% road/50% offroad rider, I recommend to take a good look at the Montana series GPS units.

I made the move to a Montana 650 from a Garmin Zumo 550. The Zumo 660/665 was my other option. Other than losing a couple of road-related features, like the Detour function and the ability to search for points-of-interest along my route while I ride, I have had no regrets.

Some features of the Montana that I especially like:
  • The ability to use tracks. I dislike my carefully planned routes being changed by a GPS. Tracks can be viewed and used to navigate, just like a route.
  • The ability to use multiple map sets, on the fly. CNNA, OSM, Topos, IMG maps made from your own GPX files -- the sky is the limit.
  • The ability to customize the Montana's screens.
  • The ability to swap the standard battery to three AAA batteries (something I have not had to do, but it's nice to know that I can).
  • A built in 5 megapixel camera (on the 650 and 650T), so you are never without one.

I have had no regrets with my choice. We have a very helpful community of Montana owners who can address your questions here under the humongous New Garmin Montana thread.

By the way, there is a good "Black Friday" sale currently underway at GPSCity.com (where I purchased my Montana). There you can currently buy the Montana 650 for $450 ($505 with City Navigator NT, which you will need for detailed road maps).

Send me a PM, if you have specific questions. Good luck with your decision.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote