View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #13897
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelv View Post
Seems still depends on design and each engine can have this "threshold"... On my car (x16xel engine) motor starts a bit consume oil if I keep it constantly over 3000rpm's.
On TA I mostly keep not more than 5000rpm's, oil is not consumed noticeably. And I change oil like on car- around 10 000km's or once per 2-3 years, which comes first. Old oil from engine is quite clean always. So, I don't see reason to change oil more frequent, except when most riding is done in city or heavy offroad. But I ride mostly in "light" mode around 90-100km/h on highways
Yes, I'm quessing that the TA motor is no worse than most at oil consumption. It is prudent to check on oil level and changes. Most of these 20 + yo motors are nearing the mid range of their wear/mileage limits at least. From my experience, that's better than most bikes. It's easy to forget that the typical KLR, KLX, WR, XR, etc that a lot of us are familar with, is pretty much done at 7 to 10k miles and very few make it much past without serious maintance. In the rare exception where a ring sticks/brakes or a valve stem seal fails while your on a long trip and you don't catch it in time, well, SHIT HAPPENS.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote