View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #131
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfink View Post
No prob! We shipped our bikes from Houston to Cartagena, then flew down to meet them. We plan to cross the Darien going back, somehow and ride back up through Central America. By our calculations it was just as cheap (in fact cheaper) to ship and travel only once through Central America as it was to travel twice. YMMV

Since you will probably going into Cartagena here are the coordinates (GPS N10" 25.248' W75" 32.232') for the Insurance Company (Suras) I would recommend. There you can buy in three months increments. Most other places will only sell one year minimum.

Have the spanish classes been worth it? I wanted to do the Spanish classes too, but my riding buddy didn't think it was worthwhile. I wish I had not listened to him.
Thanks again! We'll have to head over there as soon as we off load.

It is supposed to be much cheaper when travelling from Colombia to Panama. The boat we are taking to Categena charges about 60% less for the return trip. Check out the Stahlratte and the Independence. They are two of the more well known boats.

I think the Spanish class helped, even for just one week. I already knew enough Spanish to get around just fine, but doing the class helped me remember how to talk past/future/subjuctive tenses and clean up my language a little. Ed Zachtamundo, who's riding with me, says that he only knew about seven words total before we got here and now he's doing great!
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote