View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #13903
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
**Let's face it most riders don't have the knowlede, experience, or will to do maintance of any kind much less major repair on their bikes, cars or anything else. **

I have to agree with you on this statement, craigslist is filled with these kind of butchered bikes. It seems to be a problem that has gotten noticeably worse in the last 5 years. We are watching a mechanically illiterate generation expand.
Of course, your right. Most bikes are not near their end at 7K miles. I have been riding small displacement single cylinder dirt biased bikes, because I can handle them more comfortably. And I like to sell them with fairly low miles while they are still worth more. Then find a real low mileage used model from someone who didn't know what they wanted or what they were doing. The last 4 bikes I had ( KLX300, KLX450, KLR650, and DR350) all had less than 1K miles on them. Then I can do the mods I like and ride em till I get the best miles out of em and move on. It's worked good so far. One of the few advantages of living in a over populated place like Dallas/ Fort Worth (it wasn't so in 1944 when we moved here) , It's a target rich invironment, Just have to be fast on the Craigslist adds or they're gone. Don't think I've ever lost money on a bike, not counting taxes, insurance and regular maintance stuff. I almost never buy a bike I can't resell the next day and break even. The TA is the exception. I don't plan to ever sell this one. It's just too cool.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 05:48 PM
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote