View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #19
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,225
Continuing down the 101 and the terrain gradually becomes less spectacular but still beautiful.
Arriving in Eureka, as I have in many other coastal towns, I head straight to the marina to ogle the boats. This abandoned-looking relic is a Folkboat. These boats have a long and colorful history of long voyages and many adventures. It's sad to see this one decaying at its mooring.

I contacted fellow inmate Summerinmaine, who summers in Eureka, and we spent a few pleasant hours chatting about cars and bikes and life.
When traveling solo there can be times of feeling isolated and encounters such as this one are a relief. There were other inmates who offered company and shelter but my travel plans changed almost daily and I didn't want to commit to being anywhere at any particular time.

Not far south of Eureka I pick up Hwy #1. This road twists and turns through forests like a snake on a hotplate and it's a lot of work to pilot my loaded bike through the tight turns. Rain arrives to add another element of excitement.
My GPS is warm to the touch as it works to map the route.

After an overnight in Legget it's back to another day of spectacular riding. It's begun to rain every afternoon, a cold rain with high winds, so I try to make time in the morning and then poke along in the afternoons on the wet roads.

I rode down the coast and a little inland to Santa Rosa, CA and that night my eternally faithful laptop died. That day's photos are on the hard drive and I may be able to retrieve them using a device I ordered. Time will tell.
The weather forecast was for rain followed by rain and then more rain along the coast. Seeking sunshine, I began riding east from Santa Rosa.

MrBob screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 08:06 AM
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote