View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #115
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,667
Today I was riding out to stay with my other sister for a couple days. Jodi lives in a small town in southwest Minnesota. She recommended that I stop in New Ulm to see the Schell Brewing Company. I needed no further encouragement.

The tour costs just $3. First a guide gives a quick history of the brewery, the second oldest in the US. Do you know which is the oldest? They don't mention it in the tour.

Next we took a look at the original copper kettle where all Schell beer was brewed until just a few years ago. It's in service now as a water heater.

You pass through a portion of the manufacturing facility, which I'm fairly sure is no longer used.

And then the guide suggests we go try some beer in the tasting room.

The group is divided into groups of eight and seated at long tables. Our table actually had just six people, and two of them were kids. So each time a sample bottle was brought over, each of us got a quarter of the bottle.

Then we were offered a full cup of whichever type of beer we wanted.

The whole tour seemed like a ruse just to drink beer for cheap. I suspect there are locals who come here often just for the samples. The only catch was that now I was buzzing pretty good, so I walked the grounds of the brewery for a while before I got back on the bike.

I stopped at the historic Harkin Store, but it wasn't open today.

And arrived at my sister's a right around dinner time.

Everyone went to bed fairly early because my sister and my niece had to work the next day.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote