View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
The primer doesn't matter as you will sand most of it off, you can get a multi use primer. As far as coats go I would do 5-7 with a reputable spray paint of the color you like. Most people use way too much and create runs. Take your time and do a uniform application. Most of the times if I am prepping plastic for spray paint I just do a really like coat and let it dry as a primer. Once you get your base coat you can lightly sand down the minor imperfections and the clear coat. I find that the good clear coats cost more and I don't skimp on that. I usually use an automotive type. Tends to work better in these applications as opposed to the "any" material coat.

I just used the rustoleum automotive clear and gloss black and liked that combo. Even after sanding on the gloss black after 5 applications I got a great finish with the application of the clear coat. Do not cake on the clear coat. I tend to apply a little at a time. Before I went to the rustoleum I was using a 3m product that really looked awful after applying it.

runnin4melife screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 10:37 AM
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote