View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
dvwalker OP
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
Introductions The Crew

Dale (aka dvwalker)
Tom (aka BackCountryCruizer)

When I pitched this route idea to my ridding buddy Tom (BackCountryCruizer) in Winter of 2011, he was onboard from our first email exchange. Over the winter, I shared countless route versions containing new side trips and interesting sites along the way.

I first rode with Tom back in the mid 90’s on dirt bike day rides in the Oregon coast range with mutual riding friends. I was a newbie dirt rider at the time and Tom was old seasoned trials rider. I was grasshopper and he was the master, cat like in this riding prowess, I quickly learned to watch and observe. Over many years of riding, my comfort and skill level for dirt riding begin to narrow with his. Our common bond is the love of riding which has stayed constant till present day.

In 2009 we rode much of BigDogAdventures.com published CDR track over a 2wk period. This was our first multi-day trip and we learned a ton. What to pack and what not to pack, GPS navigation, ride spacing, mutual trust, communication, establishing our daily rhythm of unpacking/packing, gas, food and shelter. We had a great time. Also learned the limitations of the bigger heavy bikes on technical terrain, I was on a bmw f800gs and Tom on a ktm 950. On our way back home to Portland OR, we entered a dualsport event by Bend Dualsport staged at Diamond Lake Resort, near Crater lake OR. As we began to meet the other event riders, we noticed all the other bikes were light weight plated dirt bikes. Turns out we did okay on the big ~400+lb bikes, primarily because we were both in excellent riding condition at that point in time…

After returning back to Portland in fall of 2009, we both sold the big bikes for lighter go anywhere variants.

In 2010, we completed a 7day 1000mi loop trip from Bend OR combining route sections using the western OBDR and NV/OR TAT. This route was a lot more technically challenging than the CDR, and in the end fed our hunger for even more of this style of riding.

In 2011, our adventure riding had to be downsized into two 3 day short trips. We completed a 3 day trip of the eastern/central ORBDR, and a 3 day ride of the WABDR. Primarily, due to limited vacation time and family demands.

dvwalker screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 05:56 AM Reason: added link to bigdogs cdr track
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote