View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
dvwalker OP
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
Introductions - The Bikes

The bike I will be riding is the 09 Yamaha WR250R. Like many others on this forum, BigDogAdventures.com inspired me to buy this amazing little bike. I tossed around riding my newest steed, a new KTM 350exc, but common sense finally prevailed. The Yamaha was the perfect ride choice for this type of trip (for me).

WR250R mod highlights are:
• Rebuilt front/rear shocks to match rider/load weight and more technical terrain
• Seat by Seat Concepts
• Dunlop D606 front, Pirelli MT21 front
• Safari Gas Tank (3.5 US gal, ~225 mile range)
HDB cockpit/hand guards with 2 risers and 12v powerlet
• Direct powered Montana GPS
• Heated grips
Giant Loop Coyote luggage
• Double-take mirrors
• Ricochet skid plate
• Weight reduction diet (removing unwanted OEM bits)
• New front/rear sealed wheel bearings
• Lots of other small bits…
Unlike my KTM, the WR250R comes with good night time driving light and high output stator (~350w) from the factory.

Tom will be riding a 2010 KTM 690r. Very short list of mods (other bike build bits he can share):
• Lynx fairing and HID lights from Britannia composities
• Direct powered Montana GPS
• Seat by Seat Concepts
• Skid plate
• Jerican fuel bladder (1.8 US gal)
• Giant Loop Coyote luggage
• Wolfman tank bag

Tom’s bike had an estimated range of approx. 170 miles, 120 miles with the factory tank plus an extra 50 miles with the fuel bladder. This is conservative miles to minimize running the FI pump dry. Tom’s 690r is the weak link in the gas range department, but range wouldn't be an issue on this trip.

dvwalker screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 06:04 AM Reason: 690r fuel bladder correction, added links
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote