View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #24
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,434
From Santa Rosa I took secondary roads through Napa. It was beautiful there and the roads in nice condition. Also, the sun was out. I've been spoiled from living in Colorado; two cloudy days in a row and I'm freaking out.
I hope I can recover the photos from this part of the ride.

Continued east and steadily gained altitude and before long find myself approaching Donner Pass. Vehicles coming the other way are covered in snow. Looks like more scary riding ahead and it makes sense to slab it for this portion of the ride.
Good thing I have a gremlin bell given to me by a friend.

The weather over the pass alternates between snow squalls that nearly shut down visibility and episodes of clear skies and then light rain. The road surface has patches of ice where snow has melted and refrozen. Truck traffic is heavy and it's clear that their drivers don't intend to slow down for 2-wheeler.
When I reach the top of the pass I need to get off for a while and unclench my hands.

Traffic in the other direction is at a complete standstill for miles due to stormy weather at a lower elevation. The idling cars and skidding wheels have formed a sheet of ice in the westbound lanes. As I begin my descent down the pass, I'm counting my blessings once again.

The worst of the storm is over Lake Tahoe so I divert to the north and arrive in Fallon, NV and the start of this road:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50_in_Nevada
This is also where I celebrate my 63rd birthday and where I give thanks for over 40 years of motorcycle touring experiences.

MrBob screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 10:16 PM
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote