View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #101
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm0042 View Post
First off, love the bike. I've had it for about 2 weeks and already put 500 miles on it, most recently almost 300 in Moab for Thanksgiving weekend. That said, I had a starting (id10t error) issue I wanted to ask about.

I shut it down after a run but did not turn the key off. In a few hours, the light completely drained the battery. I figured, no big deal, I'll kick it over, do a run, and let the bike recharge the battery.

First, this thing is HARD to kick over. Never once did we get it anywhere near started. So, we decided a bump start was in order. We ran it down a hill, put it in second and popped the clutch. After hearing the engine turn over more than a dozen times, sputtering the hole way, it died.

At this point, I am thinking (WTF), is this a FI issue? Does it require having some battery power to start? I can't believe this is the case, since the non-EXC bikes don't have a battery, but it gets stranger...

We then tossed in the towel, pulled off the seat, and jump started it. The weird thing is, it started immediately, but as soon as we removed the cables it died. We actually had to leave the cables on for a minute or two, while the bike was running, before we could remove them and it would stay running on it's own (regardless of throttle position and RPMs). It's like we had to use the alternate power source to keep the bike running until the battery had recharged enough.

Obviously this is concerning for any endurance type ride, like the 170 mile desolate White Rim Trail we did while in Moab.

Anyone encounter this issue? Any ideas on what I was doing wrong (and yes, the key was on the entire time)?

I copied this from a memebers post @ ktmtalk....hope it explains why you had the issue.

And, 2stamp, get rid of the WRR and get thsi bike...you will be happy you did!

"I could not find a fix for the dead battery starting issue in the thread. If I have missed it, sorry.

I did read all of peoples accounts a while back, and while attending the KTM Adventure Rally in my home town of Bend, Oregon, I had the opportunity to ask the KTM tech a few questions. Kyle (KTM Master Adventure Tech) was familiar with our dead battery plight. He mentioned he had success starting a 350excf with a dead battery with the help of a 9v battery. Yes, a 9v battery. The fuel injection system needs 9 volts to operate, and that is what prevents our FI bikes from starting. Kyle had mentioned he had come up with a design for a 9 volt/capaciter fix for the bike, and had shopped it to a few companies with no success.

Kyle said that if you carried a 9V battery with some connection jumpers, you could start the bike with it. He said to idle the bike for at least 10 minutes without reving the throttle. If you rev it or turn on any accessories, it will most likely stall out.
I am willing to bet there is enough room under the seat for a 9v battery and some wires.

I have not tried this, but it sounds sane to me"
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote