View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #109
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Nov 18 Antigua

After the ride down that hill into San Pedro in the dark a few days ago, I had all sorts of images in my mind about getting out of there. It’s amazing what a difference a bit of daylight makes . . . the huge fields of massive potholes were not that big and a breeze to navigate through when you can see. The corners that seemed to drop off to nothing were just switchback corners, no big deal. Lesson learned? Um, yah sure . . .

Stopped at this little place where the San Pedro road joins the highway for some breakfast. Had eggs and carnitas (chunks of pork) . . . really good

See Lake Atitlan in the distance below the volcano

Small farms along the way are well organized, seem relatively prosperous and were really pretty

The roads in Guatemala are either incredible or crap. These 4 lane concrete twisted highways are a blast – the most fun a person can have on a 4 lane road. I stopped and tried to get a little video of chicken buses on the highway. (Ok, so I wasn’t going to do any more video, but this is a little one) The truck is being careful of his load, the bus has something chasing him . . . in his mind.

It’s hilarious to see two of these guys bent over as one passes the other on one of these corners – well, it’s hilarious except when it’s a two lane road and they are passing/racing and some big ol Gringo motorcycle is doing his best to create a little 6 inch lane for himself going the other way. You get the picture. Always seems to work out though . . .

Arrive in Antigua – not the smoothest cobble stone streets. Cars, Tuk Tuks and scooters all over the place. Looked for a few hotels, finally found Casa Rustica – about a block from the Zocolo. Great place – chose a smaller room on the ground floor, well organized so lots of room to spread out my crap, good WiFi in the room, secure parking – had me park in the lobby and good coffee and beer available at the front desk. Perfect! Nice setting. Was an old house converted to a hotel. Looking across the back gardens to my room.

Bike in front of the beer cooler

Went for a walk down to the Zocolo about a block away – the main street was a frickin sea of humanity – virtually all tourists. A lot of Guatemalans from Guatemala City, less than an hour away and the rest Gringos and Europeans. It was Sunday so I suspect that added to the crowds.

Some local ladies watching a Mime

Lots of nice restaraunts and clothing and artsy stores, if you are in to that sort of thing.

Went to a restaurant serving Guatemalan fare and had Pepián (Chicken in a bunch of spices cooked in a banana leaf) it was pretty good.

RexBuck screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 06:55 PM Reason: Forgot a pic
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote