View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
KustomizingKid OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
I am thankful for motorcycles, and weather warm enough to ride them in (South Dakota)

So here is my first post, and thread on ADV… a little background on me, I am a 22 year dude who loves riding motorcycles hahaha. Anyways I started on a 92 FZR600 that I bought in the fall of 2010 and rode into the ground. I had been wanting to get a dual sport for a while and finally the opportunity came up and I was able to afford one. I got bit by the adventure bug hard this summer when I met a couple guys who were riding across the US from upstate New York to San Fransico and have been looking forward to taking a trip of my own ever since… and I made it happen over Thanksgiving.

11/18/2012
I bought this 1989 KLR from a friend who bought it from an old guy we know from school who bought it new, I think… came with the big tank, heated grips, and some hand guards.

11/20/2012
I decided I was taking a trip for Thanksgiving since I had time off… so I had to prepare.

A little welder action later and I had this.

11/21/2012
Getting packed and ready for the trip when I ran into some petcock issues, bike was puking fuel everywhere. With nowhere to get the parts I cleaned out the petcock, flipped the oring and hoped it would last the trip.

Installed a 12v port to charge the phone and surveyed the issues this 22 year old bike has…

Fucking squirrels…

You have to hold the choke cable while it warms up… total PITA.

Spilled so much gas… good thing it evaporates unlike oil, don’t tell the EPA!

I should note that I have an awesome boss at the new job… seriously awesome guy gave me vacation days when he didn’t really have to, and gave us all $50 gas cards! That paid for almost half the gas on the trip… Thanks Justin!

All packed up and ready to go… at this point I should say that I have never taken a big trip on a bike before, I have never owned or ridden a dual sport until this week, and this is a 22 year old bike with 30k on the clock. A lot of my friends and family thought I was a bit crazy for going on a trip like this alone, but I guess that bit of danger is half of the fun eh.

KustomizingKid screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 03:03 PM
KustomizingKid is offline   Reply With Quote