View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #45
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
More on e32, bicimapas and city navigator thrown in just to make it interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i disagree. all depends on how you use it.

since it's routable, Bicimaps is extremely usefull for those that are traveling the mainland and sticking to paved and primary dirt roads ie those visiting colonial cities and such and need to find the way through.
if you've ever driven through cities on the mainland you'll understand why routing is essential. i have and my gps was the only way i would have gotten though places. things are not organized nor labeled like in the US. funky 1 way streets are everywhere and roads don't go straight through. more than a few times i ended down an unknown street and need out to the next city. even pre-planning the route on a computer and then transferring to the gps didn't fly down on the ground. with auto-routing, i would select the road or next area over i needed to go on the gps and start moving. auto-routing and auto-recalculating got me through. E32 would not have been the choice here.
the 2013 Bicimaps is extremely packed with roads now.

on the other hand there were times i was riding remote dirt roads and there was no detail on Bicimaps but E32 did show the way. for Baja yes E32 is ideal if you would only choose 1. for the mainland savvy travelers have both loaded & choose Bicimaps if only choosing 1.
My apologies... I should've mentioned that I was referring to the Baja only in endorsing e32 map. e32 is my favourite map riding offroad as well as planning and laying a track (not a route) down to transfer to my 60CSx. Before finalizing the track, I always cross reference the track to a bicimapas map to compare as well as google earth to verify accuracy too.
I haven't travelled the mainland since 2004 (didn't have gps in those days !!) so can't speak to the detail and accuracy there. Paper maps and compass was the order of the day then!!!!! Maybe it's time to upgrade my bicimapas to the latest map, as I do use it on occasion.

I have Garmins latest City Navigator on a Nuvi which includes Mexico. Recently it did an excellent job finding my way through Mexicalli and Ensenada (again, Baja). All highways travelled were very accurate in upper Northern Baja. The 60CSx has the topo maps on it which I brought out when I was tracking down a remote pit during the last Baja 1000. (One can never have enough gps units, you know )

I'm curious as to what gps you're using with bicimapas and e32. Routing on my 60CSx sucks............ that's when I bring out the Nuvi. Bigger screen and voice prompts help in heavy traffic.

Looks like the best option is to purchase both (or three) and have the best of all worlds It's what works for me!!

I'm interested in BigDogs comment with his 276C having the ability to turn off topo lines. Maybe it's time to add another gps to my inventory.

Cheers