View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspdbill View Post
OK, thanks. Yes I am using Basecamp but I haven't actually installed either of the 2 map products (City Nav. & Topo 24) on the Montana yet. The 16GB class 10 microSD cards are supposed to be here today and I was waiting for them to load the maps.
Your off to a good start.

I use the microSD card in my 62s to store my gps projects and maps. This allows me to have BC installed on two desktops and a netbook. I move freely between them as needed, the Backup/Restore function in BC makes it all happen. I have no idea how well it will work between two different computer systems.

Keep in mind, the Montana will only read up to 4GB of map data in a single file. Maps installed on the computer can be transferred to the gps using 'MapInstall'. The result is a single image file that's placed inside the 'Garmin' directory on either the gps or the microSD card. The newer generation units like the 62s and the Montana allow you to rename the resulting 'gmapsupp.img' file to something more descriptive like 'SouthCentralUS.img'. This way you can have multiple *.img files loaded.

When you get the microSD card, you'll need to create two directories, one named 'Garmin' and another inside that named 'GPX'. The 'Garmin' directory is where you can put your maps, (SouthCentralUS.img file) and the 'GPX' directory is where you can drag and drop your *.gpx files. You can use the rest of the card to store manuals, photos, pdf files, anything you want too. Feel free to abuse the Montana as a usb drive.

This Montana Site might help.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 05:37 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote