View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #5853
Ratchdaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Ressurection Time

My 88 NX250 has been down for a couple of years now. It had sucked the valves and I thought it would be uneconomical to repair at the $600 the local shop quoted me. I found a used ebay engine for $150 and figured it may be worth the gamble.

I put the new engine in and tried to start it. It cranks but will not catch. This is where I am looking for suggestions.

- I have spark.

- I used my original CDI which I suspected was bad, and the new one I got off of ebay. Same results. Spark but no ignition.

- I am unable to do a good compression check until I can find an adapter small enough for the spark plug hole, I did the finger over the hole trick and it feels like good compression. ( I know, not reliable or accurate)

- Squirted starter fluid in carb, no dice. Put some gas directly into sparkplug hole, no dice.

What I am thinking after following the trouble shooting chart in the manual is mayber to check the timing. I havent done that on this bike yet so hopefully not too hard. I am also going to pull off the carb and go through it again.

Any other ideas from you guys that are more familiar with the NX?
1977 Condor
1987 Honda Battle Spree
Ratchdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote