View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
txplants OP
Pastafarian

Oddometer: 280
The interpretive signs describe how some of the better “track-ways” in this area were removed and placed on display at different museums. So the tracks that remain are not the best, and have been subjected to continuous erosion since they were exposed (deliberately or otherwise). None the less, there are many great theropod tracks to see, and with a little effort, you can locate some very extensive sauropod track-ways in shallow water a few hundred yards south of the main set of tracks. It’s amazing to see the tracks left behind as a massive sauropod dinosaur marched across an expanse millions of years ago! I spent over an hour here, so just take your time and explore.

I hiked to track site 3, which seems to have been lost due to erosion. It took some effort to get to the river from the parking area, and once there I couldn’t locate any tracks. An interesting thing to see here are the layers of different strata of the Glen Rose Formation, beginning at the cretaceous aged limestone of the river bed, working “up” to modern times, and how the down cutting and erosive forces of the river have exposed them in cross-section. The geology of this region is fascinating!

txplants screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 12:36 PM
txplants is offline   Reply With Quote