View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #119
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,659
I woke up very early. A retired couple on the walking path stopped to chat and said they thought my camping spot was very clever.

I had some ambitious plans today, but when I crunched the numbers, I simply didn't have the time I thought I did. I had to be home in a couple days for work, so I hit the highway and headed more-or-less south.

It's hard to describe just how flat this part of the country is.

Makes for good wind generation and crops.

Anyone need a Corvair?

I was meeting a friend in Bettendorf in the evening. When I looked at the map, I saw a dot showing the location of the National Motorcycle Museum, and it was almost directly between me and Bettendorf.

Who knew the National Motorcycle Museum was in Iowa this whole time? It's a pretty cool place.

Trouble is, I rode up at about 20 minutes until 5. My bike was the only vehicle in the lot. When I walked in, the woman behind the counter grudgingly told me she'd sell me a ticket, but that they close in less than 15 minutes. What? You close at 5pm?

So, I paid full price for a ticket and buzzed through the exhibits snapping dozens of photos with the plan to look at the bikes later.

I don't know the story behind this one.

They have a little bit of everything, including this Vincent Black Shadow.

And a Square Four.

Indians.

And Harley.

Honda too.

A collection of custom choppers.

And some early 20th century machines.

And even this old thing.

I found a Horizon's Unlimited sticker on it, but no ADV.

Man. I love these inline fours.

And of course this classic bike.

It's a great museum with crappy hours.

I had a couple hour's ride to get to Amy's. Along the way it started to get a little more hilly.

I didn't take this road, but it's a good example of the kind of roads in the midwest.

I met Amy and we went for pizza.

What's funny about the picture is that we ordered the evening special, a large pizza and pitcher of beer. Then Amy tells me that she doesn't drink beer. More for me!

In the evening Amy, her son, and I watched the Olympics before bed.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote