Thread: Bicycle thread
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #26216
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I'll take a stab at it. I think the reason that you're getting resistance is because you asserted -

When perhaps a better way to say it would be 'Constantly chasing higher & higher average speeds isn't the best way to train for the type of racing I do'. Chasing averages is perfectly fine - it's just not the best for a given application. I get good results from using averages - I have a large amount of data over an 18 mile course that I have worked for almost a year now. Given enough sampling data, I can eliminate variables such as stoplights*, headwinds, etc, and narrow down the variables to things I can control. Works for me.
Its that too, but its still a bad way to train.

Quote:
For the races I run and the level I'm at, this gives me results that don't require thousands of dollars in equipment or require me to coordinate with someone else's schedule.
That's because you're a TT/Tri guy. Average speed is where its at for y'all. Max steady state riding = good for you. You don't need to worry about anything else. Best way to screw up a triathlete? Vary the pace a bunch. Especially make em chase you down.

I rode with a pro triathlete once. Sonofagun could hold right at XXmph (I don't remember how fast, but it hurt!) for hours. Uphill, downhill didn't matter. He didn't have anything else except that one speed. It was a heckova speed, but that was his one trick.

Quote:
Likewise, for a given training environment, Strava is perfectly fine.
I liken Strava to loud pipes on cuisers. 'hey lookit ME!! I got a KOM!' The only positive I see out of it is if you use Strava as a benchmark to hit on specific training days for specific reasons. Otherwise, if you wanna race, race.

Quote:
Every time we have this fight, it's because one group touts its racing & training methodology over another - when it's comparing apples to oranges. We train to perform in different circumstances. This makes different methods useless for comparison.
See above about TT/tri guys and their riding. What works for y'all won't work for anyone racing anything else except maybe mtn biking and to a lesser extent cross.

Quote:
* - If Gummee & I ever did ride together, his head would explode in 5 seconds. Because following the 'rules' in Baltimore will, absolutely will, get you killed. Besides - everybody knows tri-dorks have no manners.
Doubt my head'll explode. I can and have ridden in the city. Its a different skill set than riding out here in the cowfields. ...and yeah, triathletes typically are NOT cyclists. Keep those aero bars away from me! I've ridden with Emilio DeSoto and some of his friends too. I was expecting a bunch of out of control wankers but what I found were a group of decent cyclists that knew 'the rules.' So it ain't all of em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7
Second best option would be the author that Gummee noted, Joe Friel and his book. I assume he meant The Power Meter Handbook. You can read an sample from it here.

Another resource is Training and Racing with a Power Meter.
I'm talking about the 'generic' training book: the Cyclist's Training Bible. I actually don't have a power meter other than the one on my Cateye Psychostimulator. ...and I can't see that AND the time at the same time right now. Gotta download the manual and see if I can't change some data fields around.

M