Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #71609
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
I'm very close to owning a DR.

I have 2 questions:
At 6', and used to riding an XR250R (and DH mountain bike) and hoping to take this bike on either the TAT or CDT plus extra offroad touring credit next year, I am looking at RC High bars, Rox risers and high seat foam, plus an 18" rear wheel. Not looking to lower the pegs and reduce any ground clearance. Should that be an OK starting point for ergos?

2nd question: is a Q4 muffler fine or do I need to consider a header upgrade if the maximum performance mod I plan to do would be a carb, but probably sticking with just opening the airbox and replacing the filter. I'm generally skeptical on spending bones on headers if not overboring with cams, etc. I weigh 155lbs and pack light.

Great thread, but too much info to digest in a week (or a year).

thanks guys!

You can progressively refine the ergos and find out. Lowering and rearsetting the pegs part way won't compromise ground clearance significantly, unless you use lowering plates. Cutting and welding the stock hangers is straightforward enough, or just making your own. The stock hangers are very tall. I can't comment on your exhaust proposal.