View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
ScubaStevieG OP
2wheeledadventurer

Oddometer: 15
Should I be terrified of Sandy's salt water?

Hey GSers,

I live and ride year round in Hoboken NJ. During Sandy, my bike was parked on the ground floor and had water just below the axles, but not much higher for less than 8 hours. I did a bit of exploring the next couple of days in waters well over the pegs. I did my best to wash the bike down with fresh water, degreaser, and car wash soap after each ride (mainly to get rid of the baking poop smell)

(Don't laugh) I caught a few minutes of American Chopper where they tear down the 9/11 bike that was submerged at WTC and the thing was thoroughly thrashed...

How concerned should I be about my bolts and moving parts in the front end and rear wheel? How about the bearing seals and caliper seals/boots. ABS Sensors? I had waxed my chain about 100 miles before the storm rolled through and plan to degrease and do it all over again.

I ride all winter on salty/wet roads and wonder how this could be much different. ( I keep my bike well lubed and clean it regularly through the winter)Basically I think it would be wise to make an insurance claim now if I think that things are going to slowly go haywire in the future.

What say you wise gentlemen?
ScubaStevieG is offline   Reply With Quote