View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
txplants OP
Pastafarian

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
As soon as I showed this to my wife, she said "road trip" !
It’s a neat park, Ace. By 2 or so I was back at my camp for lunch, then geared up for a ride into town and some of the twisting county roads in the surrounding area. Just down the road from the park, there is a “Creation Evidence Museum” that boasts of exhibits that prove man and dinosaur walked side by side! I didn’t stop in, but snapped a picture of their signs for grins.

The county courthouse in the town square all decked out for Christmas, and the nifty cutouts on the park benches there. Glen Rose is proud of its dinosaurs.

After I second great day of hiking and some riding, I was beat. The day gave way to a clear cold night and after dinner I retired to my tent to read. I drifted off to sleep to the yipping of coyotes.

Sunday morning I cooked breakfast, broke camp, and packed up. I was on the road by 7:45 and about two hours later made a stop in route back to Houston at Loretta’s Café in Calvert. I had my only sit down meal of the trip, a short stack of pancakes and sausage. Overpriced, but delicious! No picture of the pancakes, but here's my bike!

Dinosaur Valley State Park is a gem! From what I saw, most of the campsites lend themselves nicely to our kind of camping.

The tracks are cool, but there are other things to see and do. It’s a great fall/winter destination. My guess is the cold water of the Paluxy River would be a great (and possibly crowded) restorative during the hot summer months. Like most Texas state parks it’s a little understaffed (and no doubt underfunded) but everyone I encountered was very friendly. Given more time, I would like to have ventured out to some of the other area attractions, but I had to be back to work early Monday morning.

Thanks for looking!
txplants is online now   Reply With Quote