View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #16
KustomizingKid OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
FUCK!!!! Good thing I had the tools to remove the sprocket and unwind the strap. No further damage was done. It felt like I hit a brick wall when it wound up… and it took a long time to get the bike started again which scared me. It also caused me to bump the headlight switch and loose all my lights!

That sunset…

So at this point snow was imminent Saturday night, and I had no lights in the middle of the badlands so I booked it into town… where I borrowed an 8mm socket to get my seat off only to find that the KLR uses glass tube fuses and all I had were blade style. Luckily a mechanic was in his shop across the street working on his drag car and I got a fuse from him… I thought that was the end of that until ten miles down the road when the fuse blew again and I had to ride ten miles down the road with no lights! Now in the an even smaller town I was SOL… gas station didn’t have glass tube fuses and I needed to keep moving so I improvised.

11/25/2012
I pushed as far east as my body would let me that night… ending up in Mitchell SD after riding 700 miles on Saturday. I woke up at 9:00am and struggled through the last boring leg home. That last 400 miles were awful, cold and miserable but I had to be at work at 7:00am Monday morning. I finally got home and got off the bike and peeled out of my gear… and made a home cooked meal.

So my first big trip, first dual sport and first real winter riding… and I had a fucking blast! I am already planning my next trip in my head… so many choices. I have a long cold winter ahead of me before I can go on another trip, but as soon as it thaws out I am hitting the road. For now I am shopping for studs to make some ice racing tires so I can at least use the bike for something this winter

KustomizingKid is offline   Reply With Quote