View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
robert110411 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
On a KTM, Husky or Euro bike? 200 bucks for springs.

On a Japanese bike? 1k for re-valve, Race Tech Gold service, Ohlins or similar.

Suspension that comes stock on Japanese bikes are a disposable item.

Have any of you guys ridden Enduros in the snotty, tight, sugar-sand and wet NorthEast? No?

I have.

An XRL and DR650 is WAY too heavy for that terrain, no matter what mods you do.

A DRZ is passable with a lot of mods, but still suffers from being top-heavy and having shitty suspension like all other Japanese Bikes.

Regarding the 250s.....a 300lb, 250 4-stroke is not going to have the balls to blow through a foot of Jersey Sugar sand or climb the rocky, rooty off-camber climbs of PA.

There is a reason why so many guys in the NorthEast ride KTMs.

OP, attend an enduro or DS ride BEFORE buying and ask around THERE. DONT ask here, on ADV. Ask people who RIDE THE TERRAIN.

I've already ridden those areas on various different bikes, including the KX. In fact I had already considered ridding some of the closed course, start-control formats on the KX as well.

I would go for the smaller Husky or KTM two strokes but I'm also looking for something that requires little care and can be ridden on the street.

I'm looking hard at dumping both dirt bikes and getting TWO new D/S. That's why the price point is kind of an issue. If it was just one I'd go Husky.

Most of my ridding is about spending time with my kid to make up for all the time I missed because of this shitty job. Not so much about being fast. I was fast 25 years ago.
robert110411 is offline   Reply With Quote