View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #2662
wrysingfeenix
Dust off those ashes

Oddometer: 627
Big wheel front street cruiser (bobber look)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
ok pardner,,,the idea is great,,the devil is in the details,,,if they are chrome/steel rims this conversion is more difficult to re-angle than if ya had alloy rims[we have more latitude ..
HOWEVER in this/your case the spoke angle is too radical on the rear rim to be converted to the spoke angle on the front,,,..just lay one wheel on top o feach other and you'll see the predicament ,,the lil disc hub up front has the spokes coming almost straight out of the dimple,,look at the rear and the spokes are coming out of the outer edges of the dimple,,,

tell me what you are trying to do,,my hunch some quasi super moto machine or perhaps something with a big wheel front street cruiser...

you'll need a different/custom spoke kit,,want low budget we can probably put a good used set together for circa $50 new circa $100

i'll see what 17 x2.15 or was it a2.5x 17 that was on them ol hondas...

whatever ,,we can help ya within your $$ constraints...
woody
The rear rims are 2.5 x 17.

Exactly...I started out on a cafe' racer project and have decided to have an easily converted 2-3 bike package. Two tanks, two seats, two sets of bars, two sets of side covers, 2.5 -3 sets of wheels, etc. all interchangeable in an easy afternoon or less.

I currently have stock spoked powder coated wheels installed for a "street tracker" look, have a spare set of original spoked wheels and would like to have a "bobber" option with a fat front wheel (hence my question, and I suspected you'd confirm my amateur guess that the spoke angle was too extreme to modify easily) and...I have a set of Comstar wheels that will be powder coated and used with the "cafe racer" version.

Used would be fine, but please clarify...are you saying that with the correct spokes I could, in fact, lace the small hub to the wide rim? I can build the wheel (I have experience with bicycle wheels) and I have a buddy who has extensive experience truing them, and it is a low budget project, but I'm not penny wise/pound foolish about it.

Or. Do you mean you could build a wheel on my front hub with a used rim that you have?

And...as always, thanks for your time, expertise, and attention. I and basically everyone who knows you and/or your reputation, appreciate it.

Wrysingfeenix
---'09 Vespa GT200 Granturismo
---'96 BMW R1100GS Mod Project

wrysingfeenix screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 06:39 PM
wrysingfeenix is offline   Reply With Quote