View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #9
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Pilot View Post
Good afternoon Tom (Rider351),

Excellent question and a common one. Both the Garmin Zumo 660/665LM and Garmin Montana 66x are excellent platforms. Advice about these specific devices can be found on the ADV Rider forum here in the "GPS Ready Room". ...
WOW! River Pilot your thread is quite informative, thank you!

I am definitely looking to replace my 60CSx with the Montana 600/650/650t over the Zumo 66x. It seems that most of the firmware issues have been fixed now. My use is 70% off road and the only drawback for me is for some trips for onroad use - the lack of bluetooth.

Bluetooth:
However I don't have a pressing need for it but later if it seems important I plan on using the Sena SR10 bluetooth 2-way radio adapter. It costs $150 and you can connect multiple inputs (including a phone via bluetooth and) notable a wired Aux In from the Montana audio out jack, then it connects to your headset via bluetooth. There are threads talking about how it solves the various bluetooth profile connection problems so you will hear high quality stereo music from your phone yet get instructions from your GPS as they occur and override.

Or because I sometimes want to have my wife and I hear the same music source when wearing headsets (when in our UTV sideBySide in our case), the other option is the Sena SM10 dual stream stereo bluetooth transmitter for that purpose. It costs $110 and has multiple wired inputs for Audio in (iphone etc) and Aux in from the GPS so you can use the audio out jack from the Montana as an input to it. It will send the same source to 2 headsets via bluetooth. The only drawback is the smartphone has to connect with a cable, not wireless.

It's a little pricey but I consider it a $100-150 option to a Montana and it doesn't seem so bad compared to the Zumo 66x, except it needs a power cable connection of its own. Apparently it is quite intelligent and works well. I might be wrong on some of the description, if so please correct me as I'm just starting to research it.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote