View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #21
klrider99
I know a shortcut........

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVirginia View Post
Greetings Beastie Boys:

Ok, there is snow on the ground here in West Virginia so I'm daydreaming about buying my first bike in 20 years.

Top contenders (this will change every five minutes) are the Tiger 800XC and Tenere.

The question is, should I (or anyone) buy a new KLR to get back into the scene and learn Motorcycle Maintenance 101 - or jump right into the beastie dream bike?

One detail I should supply is that I only want one motorcycle in the garage.

I wonder what you seasoned pros would do in my position. I'm 47 by the way, so jumping over a building or running from the cops really isn't on my agenda. Doing two up riding looks to be very limited as the wife is showing, ummm, shall we say....very little interest.

You're a YOUNGSTER, West Virginia! Got 20 years on ya. And after 20 years off the saddle I'd say get a decent, lower mile used KLR, have a lot of fun riding it, and learn how it ticks, too. Maintained, and with a few frakles, the bike will go anywhere....I rode my A13 KLR some 60 k miles, had it in Montana and across Labrador, down to Georgia four times. I rode a Vee Strom five years, and a Wee Strom four, now mainly ride a Tiger 800 XC and a dirtified DRZ 400SM. The main place the KLR is lacking is for two-up, and that doesn't seem to be a problem you'll have. The KLR is cheaper to drop, easier to pick up, and cheap enough you could even have a parts bike. Best luck dual sporting in the Mountain State!