View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #31
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,737
I called my dealer today and confirmed the valve lash they are using is what is now the new spec. No indication on their computer how or when this happened. But they will do some research and get back.

My Haynes manual has the old spec.

Lose HP? Theoretically yes, but I doubt you will feel it.

I have a KLX680c that I am constantly experimenting with to get the last bit of HP. I set the intakes at minimum spec and the exhaust at maximum. It did make the bike rev easier and quicker at higher rpm. Less power lower in the rpm range.

The intakes opens farther and it extends the duration the valve is held open. The exhaust valve stays closed longer on the end of the power stroke. By the time it opens there is less cylinder pressure. I check the valves often to make sure the intakes don't get tight. Something I felt comfortable with on this bike because there are 2 versions of it and that is basically what Kawasaki does with different intake cams on them.

I won't do that for the BMW because it is a PIA. Next time the valves are done, I probably set them where old and new overlap.

itsatdm screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 11:58 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote