View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #125
knee-dragger777
George Barber's back Yard

Oddometer: 5
Ex pat virgin possible move to Abu dhabi

All,

I am a US citizen currently in negotiations with a western construction management company working on a Healthcare project in Abu Dhabi. This would be my first Ex-pat assignment, so I am a noob, and it is not finalized yet. I live the south eastern us where we dodge trees regularly. I have been an avid motorcyclist for a long time both off and on road, and recently dual sporting.

The reason for my post, is I have a couple of questions. Is it more cost effective to import your own machine back and forth, or is it better to purchase there and then resell upon your departure? How difficult is it to Import? How much does it cost? From the little bit of research I have done, it looks like BMW, KTM, have most of the market share, and paying 8K USD for an '08 Fgs, doesn't compare to stateside pricing.

To give you some idea, I currently like to ride a KLX 250s, and would consider the WR250 as an option. I prefer more offroad biased when dualsporting, and will put up with underpowered on the roadway. I like small, lightwieght dirt machines, and I am intimidated by huge displacement (990, 800 machines). I could consider a BMW, FGs, or a KLR.

I am looking for advice. I will keep you posted as to how things progress, but you could have a noob ex-pat in your midst come mid January.

Thanks
knee-dragger777 is offline   Reply With Quote