View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #71644
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Thanks fr the reply Grifter,
yes, the axle pinch nuts, the four nuts down by the axle, they were super tight. A lot more than the 5 ft lbs I tighten them. I've read about these being snapped off! And the axle(47 ft lbs I believe) was so tight, I couldn't loosen it without stepping on it and bouncing. And I'm a big guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Do you mean the pinch bolts on the fork tubes ... or the 4 pinch bolts at the front axle plate? NEITHER should be over torqued. Ill check the Fork Pinch bolts tonight.

The Axle pinch bolts WILL SNAP OFF if over torqued. Lots of examples here. The Axle itself uses a high torque value ... not sure what it is but it's very tight. But NOT the 4 little clamp nuts ... be careful with those. It was pretty late when I got home last night, and I was a bit frustrated with the mounting of the wheel.......so, I'll check the rest this evening. Thanks again for the input.

I'll also pick up the correct wrench/socket for the top nut.

The Fork tube Pinch bolts on Upper and Lower triple clamps also should NOT be super tight? Why? Over tightening will Squash the delicate Alu fork tubes ... and ruin them. Follow Suzuki's torque numbers.

The Top Nut is 1 1/4" ... forgot MM equivalent. (inch and a quarter)

To test if steering head bearing tension are properly adjusted ... raise front of bike UP until front tire is clear. Try to keep bike more or less level.
Steering should go full left to full right easily and freely with NO drag.
You can also grab front wheel and pull on it and try to feel for any slack.

If steering is dragging, then Top Nut must come off and the adjuster below that needs to be carefully adjusted. Make sure the order of washers and adjuster nuts are all in correct order. Don't mix them up. You could also raise steering stem UP and check your shop put in enough grease. Don't over grease or over pack these bearings.

Good luck!
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote