View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #127
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Nov 22 Copan Ruins

One of the first confusing things you figure out here is that the ruins are called Copan while the town is called Copan Ruinas – I think you can figure out the translation, go figger!

The ruins was a major Mayan city from roughly 400 AD up until the 9th century when it was abandoned. Successive rulers would add temples and many times build over existing temples. These ruins are particularly known for their carvings.

Entering the ruin site, you are greeted with lots of Macaws – turns out they raise them here then ship them way out to the more remote jungle.

Some Agoutis come in and help themselves to some easy food below the bird feeders

There is a whole field of these large, intricately carved statues.

This hieroglyphic stairway contains over 2000 hieroglyphics in 65 steps and recounts much of Mayan history. The canvas awning is permanent to protect the carvings from the weather.

The main temple has an intricate tunnel system that you can wander around in

The temple you can see from the surface was the last of 4 temples, built one on top of the other by successive rulers. At one place in the tunnels, you can actually see the side of the previous building. There is an amazingly large space between the two

Many of the temples retain their shape, probably with the help of the root systems of some pretty old trees.

I liked this guy – called “Cabeza del Anciano" (Old Man’s Head) – might have to make it my avatar for awhile.

The field with the sloped floor on the sides is what they played a game on. In the foreground is one of the dozens of alters. I’m guessing that these games probably resulted in some players losing their minds . . .

This is the remnants of the “Royal Residences” – there are actually family units scattered throughout

Back in town, putting a receptacle in the wall is just a waste of money, particularly if it is 220

www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote