View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by robl245 View Post
Hey ADVNCW,

That's a great shot there! I'm wondering about that windscreen you have on that Honda (230?). Where did you get it? Does it ever get in the way? Is it easy to remove? (Throw it on there for the longer road sections, strap it on the back for the fire road sections)

I'm one of the buddies DualpportWA is refering to and my challenge is to get this:

ready for a ride like this. (Looking more like your bike) It's stock other than an Enduro Engineering seat, and a full Baja Designs dual sport kit. I've since added D606s. I'm guessing the next step would be a larger tank and some sort of rear rack. I've never done any riding that involves packing any gear before, so if I'm able to go, this will be a first for me. Any advice?
I really like my 606s, learned about the 606 here...

I like a windshield. I rode some tight singletrack and hill climbs around Leavenworth, eg Tronsen Ridge etc, with the windshield. Don't do it unless you have a full-face helmet since I whacked the edge of the windshield with the 'chin' of the helmet a few times riding dirt until I learned to keep my head back But with that, even trail riding was fine with the windshield, a little less visibility in front but I rode my usual stuff with the windshield on singletrack to see how it would be.

Locked some stuff and went hiking...

Here ya go-

https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...b59085fed6fa0c

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/product...asin-saddlebag

I had fun on two different trips ripping along the surf from Moclips to just north of Seaside OR on the motor-legal stretches.In nice sunny weather, of course!

I bought the Honda 230L because except for a KTM or Husky that is the lightest dual sport, and I did not want to spend the $$. My dirt riding goes back to my '75 Husky CR360GP @ 219 lbs dry!!! Thus, I have a problem imagining a 300+ lb dualsport motorcycle! I like to say that my 230L loaded weighs less than the new CRF250L- unloaded (true)! I just brought home a WR250R which I have read is readily lightened to 270ish lbs. and has enough HP to break the speed limit (unlike the trail capable but road-weak 230L).

With my setup I had a comfortable camp and 2 days or more food, two hours of backpack stove fuel, plus about 1 gallon water. When I need the range I use the Kolpin 1.5 gal on the front rack, which @ 73 MPG with the 2.3 gal tank+ 1.5 gal Kolpin gave a lot of range on the little dog 230L! I bought the Giant Loop Great Basin soft luggage because I did not want to add the weight of a rack. It works, but a pia to learn to pack until you develop a system. I strap a 40L waterproof bag on with the bulky light stuff eg my tent, sleeping bag, puffy coat. I and my family go overnight backpacking and on mountain bikes overnight thus have light stuff, but still it took a while to figure it out and a lot of time packing up. With the load on that little bike I rode singletrack and including the Naches Pass Jeep trail several times, which was a bit rough in places... and steep...But the small bike and tractor motor is easy- not fast, but unstoppable.

I will put the windshield on the WR250R to ride the CDR next year, and will use the Giant Loop Great Basin and my 40L bag.

In the 1970's I was an "adventure rider" before that term was well-known on a 2 stroke GT750 Suzuki- rode the AK Hwy, down to Baja, 44 states. On the GT750 I had a Hugon fairing, a clear plexiglas rounded thing with and extension. I learned that the fairing/ windshield adds a lot of comfort. I believe the same for my 230L or my WRR- for mileage it adds a lot of comfort.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 12:30 AM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote